Five Helpful Healthy Tips For Flat Ironing Hair
Flat ironing your hair doesn't come without consequences and can severely damage your hair if you are not doing it right. However, flat ironing can make for a beautiful hairstyle, so you will want to consider these five helpful and healthy tips to protect your hair:
- Wait Until Your Hair is Dry: First off, you should never straighten your hair while it's wet. This means either blow drying or letting your hair completely air dry before touching it with a flat iron. The reason being that the heat compressed on the wet hair will start to fizzle it and possibly burn it off completely. This can not only be disastrous but also dangerous since electricity and water should never mix.
- Use Heat Protectant: Whenever you flat iron your hair, you should make sure you have a heat protectant product for it. There are many sprays or serums you can buy that won't affect the softness and fullness of your hair, but rather protect it from being burned, which leads to fewer dead ends and straighter strands that are going to ensure the hair looks smoother and cleaner.
- Always Section Your Hair: While it may seem like sectioning off your hair to straighten it will take longer, it will actually make the process shorter. This is because you can move through each section just once before your hair is straight and you won't have to go over multiple areas more than once to make it straight. If you don't section off your hair, it's going to be more difficult to get it completely straight all around because you will miss spots and have to go over areas more than once, which can be damaging.
- Set it to the Right Temperature: Flat irons can usually be set to a wide range of temperatures. It's important that you set it at the right one. Many people think that the higher the temperature, the faster it will straighten. However, this isn't the case and setting it too high can do more damage. Ideally, 365 degrees is the best to get an effective straightness to your hair without causing too much damage.
- Start at the Roots: Finally, when you are straightening your hair, you want to start at the roots. This is going to create a more flawless look because the whole strands will be straight rather than leaving crimped parts in certain areas. This also ensures that you don't feel a need to go over areas that have already been touched.
When you consider these five healthy tips for flat ironing your hair, you can be sure that you do so effectively and without damaging your hair too much.